December 17, 2011

Holiday Splurge: Yogurt as a Between Meal Dessert

The best things about my recipe are that I'm using home-made, full-fat yogurt and there are no sweeteners used.


If you aren't making yogurt, then look for plain unsweetened yogurt with no- or few additives as they basically make yogurt taste like something else. My favorite part of my home-made is that it still tastes like a dairy product. I can and will eat it plain, but only to keep losing weight. Once I reach my desired weight I plan to eat it this way every day.


I start with a ripe banana. Mash half of it coarsely with a fork and sprinkle with cinnamon. Add your yogurt. I use about 2/3 cup of yogurt; you should start with your preferred portion and, if it's much more or less than 2/3 cup you may want to adjust the fruit quantities from what I describe.


Once the mashed banana and cinnamon are stirred into the yogurt, slice the other  half of the banana and add a handful of either sliced or whole grapes in your desired quantity. Gently mix with your spoon and EAT! The mashed banana sweetens the yogurt but not so much that the other fruit tastes sour.


To enhance the flavors, I add a few raw pecan or walnut halves for contrast.


Variations can include replacing the grapes with any of these: kiwi, sweet apple, pineapple (preferably fresh), berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment